Ningbo March 2013

Ningbo is a pretty boring town and I wouldn't recommend going at all but if you do find yourself there there are some cool sights. There are quite a few shopping centres and eateries offering Western dishes in addition to Chinese. One night we went to a Korean BBQ restaurant, I had never been before but it is definitely an experience I will never forget.

About 15 of us arrived at the restaurant, a mix of white and Chinese people and myself. The two hostesses were clearly mesmerised and approached me as soon as I entered the restaurant and begun speaking to me Chinese. After a few confused glances I realised they wanted a photo with me, although quite strange I obliged them. Which then opened a can of worms, as they wanted more photos with them and other members of staff, I then refused them and made it to my seat whilst laughing uncontrollably with my friends over what had just occurred.

So at a Korean BBQ there is a burner in the middle of the table and you choose what raw meat you want to cook, there are also cooked meals on the menu. Fresh lettuce, sauces and mini appetisers are given. We choose a mixture of bacon, lamb, beef, cooked beef and rice and noodles. The food was delicious and very filling. Throughout dinner the hostess that had approached me when I walked in couldn't help but looking at me and walking past our table. As I left one of the hostesses ran after me and grabbed my arm as she wanted another photo, I refused as the whole thing was a bit weird and the personal space boundary had already been crossed.

On another day we went to the Tianyige Library which to my surprise wasn't actually just a library. For 15 yuan/£1.60/$2.40 you can enter the 'library'. It's really a garden with several Chinese looking buildings, lanterns, green areas, statues and exhibitions in some of the buildings. It was very beautiful and I felt like I was actually in China whilst in the garden. We spent a while in the garden taking photos. After the garden I went to the train station to get my train back to Shanghai.

Whilst my friend collected my ticket, I waited outside the station and found I was getting a lot of attention as I was clearly the only foreigner in Ningbo at the time. Several people would stare at me and people would turn their heads while walking in the other direction. It seemed I was quite a rare sight for most people, although this was fascinating for the Chinese people it made me feel largely uncomfortable and insecure. I was waiting for a group to pounce on me, kidnap me and keep me for observation the way they couldn't help but stare very unsubtlely. Whilst in Ningbo and speaking to other students they mentioned some of their experiences whilst in Shanghai including picture taking, staring naturally and shouting 'foreigner' in Mandarin at them. Luckily the latter didn't occur to me,as this would have been a type of culture shock to the extreme to have to deal with upon entering the country for the first time.

Needless to say I was ready to get back to Shanghai and finally Bangkok where less and finally no such attention is given. After my friend returned I said my goodbyes, made my way into the station and proceeded to my train. After arriving in Shanghai I made my way to my hostel for a good nights sleep before my flight to Bangkok the next day.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010