Bangkok March 2013

Day 3

I decided I want to go to the floating market in Damnernsaduak so purchased a ticket from one of the many tour agencies in the Khao San Road area. It was 250 baht/£5.6/$8.40 and included transport to the market and back. The bus left at 8am and took an hour to get there. Upon arrival you are told where the market is and given the option to simply walk along the canal or go on a boat trip amongst those selling for an extra 150 baht/£3.35/$5.04 which is about 30 minutes.

Floating Market
I chose the boat trip, it was fun but not a must do. You see several stalls selling bags, spices, souvenirs and women in boats selling fruit and cooking pad Thai. There are also men just off the canal with 'harmless' snakes charging for photos to have your photo taken with the snake.

Floating Market
After the boat your you are free to walk around the market that you can reach by foot. We left the market at 11 and arrived back in Bangkok at 1pm. The market is open everyday from 7am-12pm.

It was fun and good to get out of Bangkok for a few hours, in addition to being quite cheap. If you have the time and don't mind getting up early you should go to the Floating Market.

After I arrived back in Bangkok it must have been getting some tips from England as it was pouring down with rain for a good few hours. I briskly walked to the nearest restaurant as I was starving at this point. By the time I dried myself off, ordered some tea and a green chicken curry the rain had ended and I could walk back to my hostel in rain free.

After a well needed shower and change of clothes I met a friend who introduced me to the Bangkok shopping malls which probably wasn't the best thing for my budget but overall I had the best day so far in Thailand.

We got a tut tut from the Khao San Road to a shopping centre called MBK first which was 100 baht/£2.20/$3.30 (haggling required). MBK is located in downtown Bangkok which I prefer much more to the heavily tourist orientated area which I currently reside. Downtown was more chilled and had somewhat nicer buildings.

MBK is a huge shopping centre with a food court, countless floors, cinema and several shops. There is an electrical floor offering products such as iPhones and iPads to accessories and SIM cards. As for clothes there aren't that many named brands and if you are on a budget this is place for you. I managed to barter a fake Mulberry Alexa bag for 900 baht/£20/$30 from 1500 baht/£33/$50 which I was quite delighted with.

MBK
On the other hand if you're all about brands then you can simply take the walkway to the other shopping centre called Siam Centre. This is a mid range shopping centre with brands such as Forever XXI, Mac, Superdry and Steve Madden. I felt as if I had died and gone to heaven as I was not expecting these kind of stores in Thailand. I was pleasantly surprised and persisted to window shop. I'm pretty sure my eyes lit up at every brand I recognized.

Siam Centre

Lastly we visited Siam Paragon which is for those with some dollar to drop. I have no such dollar but was nice to look around. Siam again has countless floors, a cinema, a department store, high street brands such as H&M, Zara and Mango but also high end stores including Prada, Hermes, Dior, Maserati and Louis Vuitton.

I had purchased some make up from my favourite brand, Mac and now was in search for a purse as the one I currently had has become redundant. So we trailed back to MBK in search of it. My guy friend powered through 3 shopping centers with me and MBK again when most would have peaced out by this time so that was very much appreciated.

Mulberry Alexa

After I found a purse I wanted we took a tut tut back to Khao San and had dinner nearby followed by several drinks, Shisha 300 baht/£6.70/$10 followed by more drinks and a foot massage at 4:30am naturally.

By 5am I made it home but unfortunately not to my bed. I ended up speaking to some English backpackers, (I think there are more here than there are at home) until 6am when I eventually made it to my bed and a long needed sleep was finally granted.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010