Bangkok. March 2013

Day 1

So I have decided to embark on a 6 month expedition across 6 countries and 3 continents. My first port of call being Bangkok, Thailand. I had an 11 hour flight from London Heathrow to Bangkok International Airport. After about an hour of immigration queues I changed my money into Thai baht, got my luggage and got a taxi outside the airport. The journey to the NapPark Hostel just around the corner from the infamous Khao San Road took just over an hour and cost me 450 baht/£10/$15 which is quite expensive but you required to pay tolls and airprr taxes on your journey which increases the price somewhat. Going from Bangkok to the airport via mini van will only cost you 150 baht/£3/$5 and almost every hostel and tour/travel agent provides this service.


I arrived at 5pm and it was still baking at about 30 degrees. After I checked into my hostel I was surprised to learn that no shoes are allowed to be worn inside as it is seen as a sign of disrespect so shoes are left outside or in lockers. I thought it was a bit weird at first but I must say I feel more at one with myself walking barefoot. There is a communal area where DVDs are played, free wifi and Internet access at a fee. There are 18 people in a room which sounds like a lot but they are all separated by sliding doors so you only really feel as if you staying with 3 other people. Free linen and towels are given. The bed comes with its own lamp and plug sockets. There is also a locker to store your valuables while you are out. Air conditioning is off between the hours of 12 and 6 but you should be out exploring during that time anyway.


There is an outdoor terrace which is also quite cute. The hostel arranges several trips to different parts of Thailand and the islands which is convenient. Overall this hostel has given a good first impression and is all I could ask for for a few nights in Thailand with an average price of £10/$15 a night which is on the expensive side in Bangkok (you can easily find accommodation for half that) but it's worth every penny.

Tired but hungry I ventured around the corner to have some cheap Thai street food. I got some grilled pork on satay sticks with rice for 30 baht/£0.89/$1. There are several tuk tuks, motorbikes and taxis speeding around and the idea of a zebra crossing is unheard of near my hostel so be careful when crossing the roads etc. The people in hostel seem nice and friendly which always helps and not too noisy but its still only 9pm.

I'm going to spend the rest of my evening planning my trip for the next few days but so far so good here in Bangkok. Until tomorrow everyone.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010