San Diego July 2013


San Diego is about 2 hours south of Los Angeles. You can get there by train, plane or bus. I decided to get the bus as I didn't want to faff around with check in and waiting at baggage claim for a 45 minute flight and the bus was the cheapest option at $30/£20/€23 round trip. That being said bus stations in the United States are usually in pretty sketchy areas with even sketchier people but if you keep to yourself and get from A to B you'll be fine. As I said this was the cheapest option hence why I chose it but if you have more money to spend I would suggest flying or training it. The bus was a bit dated and pretty average but for a 2 hour journey who cares. 

I purchased my ticket online which I would recommend as there are cheaper online web prices and some routes are popular than others so if you try and purchase your ticket the day of it will be more expensive and maybe sold out. So I left LA at 1pm and got to San Diego at 4pm. My friends Sarah and Taylor picked me up from the bus station and we headed to get food straight away. We went to Coronado which is a little island next to San Diego with lots of restaurants, stores and a beach. We ate at a BBQ place and I had forgotten how nice and friendly the people in the service industry were in the States. Clearly they are working for tips but its as if the friendliness is ingrained in them somewhat more than in England. 

After our late lunch we drove past Mission Beach then went to a bar on Pacific Beach for a few  drinks. Next walked along the beach passing bars, restaurants and apartment complexes. My first impression of San Diego is that it is a party city through and through and would be an amazing place to go to university although I'm not sure how much work I'd end up doing. San Diego is also a really beautiful costal city and mountainous in places. Pacific Beach s a cool place to go out, there s a lot going on, lots of bars and restaurants, hotels and a nice although busy at times. It's also got quite a youthful feel about it. 

We then headed to another bar passing more bars, restaurants and clothes stores along the way. This bar was a bit like a sports one with several plasma tv screens showing different games. A lot of the bars in San Diego have doormen asking for ID before you've got into the bar even in the daytime. We got some more drinks then headed home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010