Los Angeles July 2013

I've probably been to LA about half a dozen times and always stay with family that's about an hour outside of LA. So this time I decided to stay in a hostel in LA for a few days to be close to everything. I stayed at the Banana Bungalow West Hollywood. It's pretty close to Melrose Avenue and The Grove, which is an outside mall. It's a really good location but the rooms are a bit dated and mine was next to the outside patio so always pretty noisy. It's a good location but that's about it. 

On my first day I did the unthinkable and walked to Hollywood Boulevard as no one walks in LA. You can get a bus to Hollywood Boulevard from across the street but I wanted to walk. It's about a 40-45 minute walk to Hollywood. You instantly see the stars on the ground with several famous people's names. Hollywood Boulevard is full of hotels, hostels, restaurants, bars, the Chinese Theatre, the Kodak Theatre (where the Oscars are filmed) and an outdoor shopping centre. You will undoubtably be harassed by vendors trying to sell you some kind of tour. 

I purchased a famous people's homes tour for $47/£31/€35 as I'd always wanted to do one. I purchased my ticket from Starline Tours, you also get a free tour of Madame Tussads that needs to be used within 2 days. So the famous people's homes tour was 2 hours, if I were you I would take a bottle of water as the mini bus doesn't have a roof. You are given headphones so you can hear the tour guide talking. The tour includes driving down Sunset Boulevard, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood Hills and Mulholland Drive. We saw several homes including those of Ryan Seacrest, Ellen Degeneres, Larry King, Christina Aguleira, Bruno Mars and Vinnie Jones. The tour guide made a plea at the end of the tour for his tip which is recommended at $10/£6/€7, I only gave $5/£3.30/€3.80 as it was that or $20 and he wasn't that good. 

I'd been out in the sun pretty much all day so after the tour I went back to my hostel, took a nap and relaxed until the next day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010