Tamarindo, Costa Rica April 2017

So my day started at 2:30am, I woke up and quickly got ready to leave my hostel at 3am. I arrived at the airport at 3:15am and after check in waited to board my flight at 5:25am. It was about an hour flight to Bogota and so I took this time to sleep. Once I arrived at Bogota I had to go through immigration again to get my following flight to San Jose, Costa Rica at 8am then had a 3rd and final flight to catch to the Costa Rican coast, Tamarindo. 


I flew Sansa Air and their check in desk is located outside of the airport in a location about 5 minutes walk  away. My backpack was pretty heavy and a nice man offered to carry it for me to the check in desk. After check in I waited until 12:15 for my flight. I knew this plane was going to be small but it definitely defied my expectations. This was essentially a mini bus in the sky, I couldn't stand up straight and had to bend down to get to my dear, there were probably 12 seats in the whole aircraft and I could see the cockpit from my seat. As well as my luggage being weighed I was also weighed before I boarded, which at the time I thought was strange but now I get it. As the plane is so small there's definitely a height and weight limit. The disadvantages of such a small plane is that you can literally feel every bump and bout of turbulence there is. There's also A LOT of windows, so it's impossible not to look down (not great if you're afraid of heights). 


After we safely landed I waited for my airport shuttle and headed to my hotel, it's about an hours drive from Liberia airport to Tamarindo. I arrived at 3pm and was pleasantly surprised to be informed that my room had been upgraded to an ocean view room and that after 12 hours of travelling to get to a country that was 2 countries away and that I could have essentially been back in London in that time I can honestly say the journey was worth the wait. The Tamarindo Diria Beach Hotel is a beachfront hotel so after dumping my stuff in my room I headed for the beach. It honestly took my breath away, the beach was so vast, spanning miles. I took a walk on the beach, on the way back I walked along the 'strip' as it were which are filled with shops, restaurants, bars, surf shops, tour companies and hotels. I went to a tour store and enquired about zip lining and surfing. 


I then headed back to my hotel room for a well needed nap which turned into sleep until the next morning. 


I woke up at 7:30am and headed to the restaurant for breakfast which consisted of eggs, plantains, bread, fruit, deli meats, meatballs (weird I know), pastries, juice and hot drinks.


I then had a pretty relaxing day which included getting a manicure & pedicure, sunbathing while reading Amy Schumer's latest book (I totally recommend by the way) getting a few provisions from the supermarket and further sunbathing. If you do ever visit Costa Rica I'd recommend taking US dollars, Costa Rican colons are accepted of course but US dollars are widely quoted and I think the preferred form of currency. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010