Tamarindo, Costa Rica April 2017

So I last minute decided to go on an adventure activity today called Canon De La Vieja. Not to be confused with Rincon De La Vieja which is where the volcano is and that tour usually consists of a hike, seeing the volcano and a waterfall. 

Canon De La Vieja on the other hand is a lot more active and includes activities such as abseiling, rock climbing, zip lining, tubing and horse riding for $130/£100 and includes lunch. They pick you up from your hotel at 8:30am and drop you back at around 6pm. It's just over an hours drive to Canon De La Vieja. There were 7 of us in total doing the activities. 5 Canadians and 2 English. 


We got our equipment for the first activity which was zip lining. The instructor's English wasn't that great which I feel like it should be in a job such as a zip line instructor. I also don't think that enough coaching/instruction was given before we went off. If it was my first time zip lining these guys wouldn't have made me feel at ease. 

The zip lines itself also weren't that great. A good zip line should have a dip in the middle so there's enough velocity so you can speed through. The majority of these zip lines were quite straight so you didn't go through that quickly and if you broke slightly you would stop in the middle of the zip line which is what happened to myself and a few others. The zip line I did a few days previously was a lot better. I'd give this one 5/10.

After the zip line we took a break to get some water and next it was abseiling and rock climbing which was optional. I decided to opt out of this one. The abseiling looked pretty hard and scary, you then had to rock climb back up. It was hot which meant to rocks you had to climb were also pretty hot in addition to you. It wasn't my idea of fun but a couple people tried it. 


After that we went horse riding, I'm pretty scared of horses as I fell off one once when I was younger and I've pretty much been scarred by them since, but as long as the horses weren't running I'd figure I'd be ok. Luckily they were just walking at like 5mph so I could just about handle it. After that we got off the horses and walked down to a stream to start tubing. 

We got our life jackets on and got in our tube rings. We must have been tubing for at least an hour and you basically just flow down lots of different rapids. There were times where there weren't any rapids so padding your way to the next one was a bit annoying but overall it was really fun and very wet. 

After tubing we got lunch, it was buffet style luckily as I was starving. There was lots of salad, pork, chicken, plantains, rice and pasta. 


The last thing on the agenda was the sauna, mud bath and the hot springs which were amazing. We left at 5pm and got back around 6pm. It was a great way to spend my last day and I would recommend it. Overall I can say that Costa Rica is beautiful, hot, has nice people, nice food and there's so much to do. I'd you're adventurous or if you just want to relax by the beach. I'd recommend to all and I will definitely be coming back! 😁👌

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010