Cartagena April 2017

So after a day in Bogota I decided it was time to experience some South American heat for a few days so I headed to Cartagena. A coastal city in the north of Colombia. 


A quick one hour flight with Avianca and I had arrived to 30 degree
heat and an island life feel. I embraced the heat after stepping off the airport and got a taxi to my hostel, Mamallena on Calle Media Luna located in the Getsemini area. I dumped my stuff, said hi to a couple of girls from the US that were staying in my room, got a map and headed off exploring.  


There is a walled city in Cartagena which I headed to. Inside the walled city there are several vendors selling water, street food and ice creams. The buildings are old and colourful, there's several taxis buzzing around in addition to the odd horse and carriage. There are also loads of plazas in the walled city, restaurants, hotels and a few museums. 


I meandered for a few hours along the old streets, stopping for lunch to refuel. Along the way I asked a guy to take a photo of me and we ended up talking and discovering the city together for a while. In one of the plazas there was a Colombian dance show which was quite entertaining. 


At around 5pm I headed back to my hostel to soak up some air conditioning then headed out to this bar, Cafe del Mar on the edge of the walled city. Whilst having a drink a girl sitting next to me asked if I was alone so we ended up having a drink together. She was an artist and was painting portraits of other people at the bar then selling the portraits to them if they wanted.
She painted one guy then headed over to make the sale. When she came back she confirmed the group of guys had asked her to paint a portrait of all 3 of them. She asked minded if I minded sitting with them while she painted. I did not and we sat with these guys from Austria, had a few drinks then decided to get dinner at this Argentine restaurant called Quebracho. It was like all my Christmases had come at once. We all had steak naturally plus beer and Malbec. After dinner we went to Plaza de Trinidad where a couple were performing salsa. I was getting a little tired by this point so I headed back to my hostel. 


There was fresh blood in the form of a cool Canadian couple (then again I think all Canadians are cool) in my room. They had just arrived from the north and we got chatting then had a few drinks on the terrace before I actually went to bed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010