Medellin April 2017

Today I headed to Medellin for the day. This was a last minute addition to my trip hence the flying visit. I flew LATAM from Bogotá and was scheduled to leave at 6am which turned out to be 6:45am as my flight was delayed. We took off then there was a refuelling issue so flew back to Bogotá. Finally arrived in Medellin at 9:30am instead of 7am. It amazes me how there can be a refuelling issue on a one hour flight. 

I then got a taxi to La Aurora which is a pretty high point the city with pretty cool views. The taxi ride was about 45 minutes and you can immediately notice the beautiful valleys, mountains and greenery Medellin has to offer. The weather is much better at 28 degrees which I very much appreciated. I don't think I'd ever taken so many videos in one car journey before. 
Medellin first impressions, stunning and breathtaking. Can I just live here forever please?!


At Aurora station there's a cable car that takes you to San Javier metro station. The metro is 65p per journey so pretty cheap and easy to get around on. While in the cable car you experience amazing views from up high of the mountains, favelas and high rises also in plain view. A calming and special journey. From San Javier you can head anywhere, I went to Parque Berrio where I visited Plaza Botero. Plaza Botero has several sculptures from which the artist Fernando Botero designed. This a major tourist hub with hundreds of people taking pictures and vendors selling selfie sticks to hats to snacks and drinks. 


I then got back on the metro to El Poblado which is another area of Medellin. There are several restaurants, cafes & bars in this area. It's a 5 minute taxi/bus ride or a 20 minute walk from the station. It's all very green with a plethora of trees around and several cafes & restaurants with outside areas in addition to cute independent shops. 


I got some food and a drink at a nearby cafe and chilled for a couple of hours. I then headed to Parque Poblado where a few vendors sell handmade jewellery & crafts. I then walked another 20 minutes down a leafy street and ended up at a shopping centre. I had a little peak then headed back to Lleras Park which is a square with more restaurants & bars. I went to a bar and got a snack before getting my taxi back to the airport. After getting back to Bogotá I got some well needed rest ready for the next adventure tomorrow! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010