Washington D.C. August 2013

Day 1

My first night in DC was pretty fun and memorable. Myself, Ashley and some of her friends went to this Irish bar called McFadden's at 24th Street NW. On Tuesdays they have a free bar on certain drinks from 8pm-9pm. Then certain drinks are a dollar each for the rest of the night in addition to 25 cent chicken wings. We stayed there for a while then headed to Ashley's friends birthday party at The Graham Hotel in Georgetown. It was a rooftop party with a really nice view of Georgetown. We ended up meeting some suits and wound up receiving some free drinks and good conversation.


Day 2
Today was my day of sightseeing, I walked from my friends house in Bloomingdale to The White House. The White House was quite far back from the gates which was annoying but it was still cool. It is possible to have a tour of The White House but it wasn't available when I went. I then when to the WWII memorial which was quite cool and the Abraham Lincoln Memorial. I was looking forward to this the most, unfortuneatly when I got there there was a bit of scaffolding which was annoying but I think I still got a few good photos. The Washington Monument, the White House and Abraham Lincoln are all in walking distance of each other.


After the Abraham Lincoln Memorial I went to the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Park which had a a lot of plaques and inspirational sayings about Americas hopes for the future on equality and race. There were some waterfalls and statues of other historical figures also.


Next I went to the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, I didn't get that many great photos due to the Sun but there were several scriptures on the walls also.


After about 4 hours of walking I went back to my friends place. It was quite muggy but very humid, there are Hop On-Hop Off tour buses available at $40-$50/£25-£32/€29-€37 (I can't remember exactly)for 48 hours. If you didn't want to walk everywhere. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010