Chiang Mai April 2013

I decided to head up to Chiang Mai again for a change of scenery and to see a bit more of the city this time. It's much hotter up north once again. I didn't want to do any activities this time but simply wanted to chill, perhaps some yoga, shopping and massages.

I got up, had breakfast and ventured to Thapae Gate, a main tourist area in Chiang Mai. There was a market that day selling bags, jewellery, wristlets, street food, drinks, soap etc. I had a wander and realised I needed to get some gifts for those back home. I bartered and made a few purchases. In one case I must have bartered too low, I was purchasing 2 items and gave the salesperson a price and she simply accepted it and didn't try to get a lower price. This has never happened to me to me in Thailand before, so I knew I could have got a lower price but never mind.

I headed back to my hostel and came across a restaurant so decided to get some food. I got kao soi which is a very traditional northern Thai dish. I decided to get it for a change of pace as over the past few weeks I've only had 4 things for the most part. Fried rice, curry, noodle soup or fried noodle without a doubt, a change was definitely needed. Kao Soi is a little spicy and like a soup with noodle and deep fried noodle which is accompanied with chicken or pork. It was delicious and would have again and recommend.

After lunch I headed back to my hostel and had a nap. I got up at about 6 and headed to the Chiang Mai gate where there is a large selection of street food. I walked up and down to check out all that was on offer an settled on a simple but yummy pork and rice dish. After dinner I wandered over to the Sunday Walking Street Market which is like 4 streets with stalls on both sides of the street, so a lot of walking. But much more bearable as you're not doing it in the sweltering heat. I was browsing for about 2 hours as its so big. I'd say its bigger than the Njght Bazaar also in Chiang Mai. There is also a lot of street food, vendors and restaurants in the area if you wanted to dine also. I put my bartering skills to good use and got another present in addition to a well needed notebook as my current one is falling apart :(

After my purchases I made it back to my hostel, blogged, caught up on the world, downloaded a cool radio app called TuneIn radio as i was getting bored of my own iTunes selection. It's pretty cool you can listen to pretty much any station from around the globe. I also packed as I'm on the road again tomorrow to Pai. I'll keep you posted folks.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010