Phu Quoc, September 2017

So I had an early start today, I had a flight to Phu Quoc, (the largest island in Vietnam) at 6:40am.

I left my hostel at 5am and headed to Hanoi airport. I checked in and boarded my flight which was 1.5 hours. After we landed it started to shower then when I got in my airport shuttle the heavens opened. It was about at 20 minute journey from the airport to The Shells Resort & Spa.


I checked in and was driven in a golf buggy to my room. When we got to my room the bell boy asked me for the room key which I didn't have to which he seemed shocked. After him talking to reception on the walkie talkie and after 5 minutes he came to the conclusion that the room was actually unlocked so we walked in. Apparently there was an issue with my lock that needed to be fixed and apparently they didn't think it a good idea to fix this before taking me to my room. A few minutes later the locksmith came and about 10 minutes after that I was given my new key. The hotel room is quite spacious and the view is pretty sweet. 


I was pretty hungry as hadn't had breakfast yet so ordered room service which was pretty tricky and it seems the staff's English was a 2/10. So a lot of repeating myself was involved. Unfortunately the level of English wasn't just bad at the restaurant it was poor with every member of staff I came across. Not what I would expect in a hotel of this size in a major tourist destination. Apparently being fluent in English wasn't a prerequisite for working at the Shells Resort & Spa Hotel. 

After I devoured my room service it was still chucking it down so I had a nap hoping the weather would have picked up by the time I woke up. After a 4 hour cat nap I opened my curtains to beaming sunshine and hot footed myself to the pool.
The hotel is also situated on a beach, it's not the nicest beach I've seen and no one was on it but I've been told there are better beaches on the other side of the island. 


After a few hours I went back to my room. Ordering room service was a quite a feat, so much so the waiter had to come to my room so I could show him what I wanted from the menu as his English was so bad he couldn't understand me on the phone. After dinner I fell asleep watching Crazy, Stupid, Love. 

The next day I had a buffet breakfast which was included in my room. It was average, there was a lot of choice from coffee, tea, juices, bacon, rice, vegetables, fried eggs, cold meats, bread, cheeses and salad. 

I then packed up my things, checked out and got ready for my next destination. It was chucking it down on my way to the airport, I'm not sure if this is the rainy season for Phu Quoc or if I just got unlucky but it seems September isn't the best month to visit. 


I'd rate the Shells Resort and Spa 7/10 for being aesthetically pleasing, as the rooms were nice and you had a great view of the pool and beach. You also get a free hotel shuttle to and from the airport. However customer service wise I'd have to give it a -1/10 as the staff don't speak English which is ridiculous for a hotel of it's size in its current location. 

I'd definitely visit Phu Quoc again but I won't be staying at the Shells Resort and Spa. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praha 14th April 2011

Buenos Aires April 2013

Amsterdam 10th December 2010